The 2022 Emerging Leaders Seminar took place in Buenos Aires, Argentina and brought together a team of Emerging Leaders from 17 countries across five continents.
Between 17 and 21 October 2022, 24 participants from 17 countries attended the eighth WHF Salim Yusuf Emerging Leaders Seminar in Buenos Aires, Argentina. The Emerging Leaders have joined a 175-people expert community in cardiovascular health and explored the topic of CVD and infectious diseases (COVID-19, influenza and Chagas disease). Focusing on a different priority area each year, the objective of the training module is to reduce the global burden of cardiovascular disease in line with the UN Sustainable Development Goal 3.4.
During the week, the new Emerging Leaders cohort received a tailored training programme and had to produce a seed-funded group project. The seminar was attended by WHF President Prof Fausto Pinto, WHF President-Elect Prof Daniel Piñeiro, WHF Vice-President Elect Adj Prof John G Kelly, and WHF Past President Prof Salim Yusuf.
The seminar culminated in the symposium “IN THE HEART OF THE PANDEMIC” at the National Academy of Medicine in Buenos Aires. Distinguished and keynote speakers at the symposium included:
- WHF President Prof Fausto Pinto (University of Lisbon)
- WHF President-Elect Prof Daniel Piñeiro (Universidad de Buenos Aires)
- Assoc Prof Helena Legido-Quigley (London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine)
- Senior Programme Adviser for the Emerging Leaders Programme Prof Amitava Banerjee (University College London)
- Prof Senior Science Adviser Prof Pablo Perel (London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine)
- Ana Paola Courtade (Argentinian Federation of Cardiology)
- Héctor Deschle (Argentinian Society of Cardiology)
- Ana Salvati (Argentinian Cardiological Foundation)
- Daniel Stecher (Ministry of Health of Argentina)
A rich debate regarding the task ahead of us: a global vision, be led by equity, and work together to build stronger, better-prepared health system and healthier hearts.